« All Blogs Jun 22, 2017
5 Tips for a Remote Interview
Remote Interview

Have you ever considered consulting or contracting work as an alternative to a 9 to 5 office job? If you’re not used to working from home, it can be frightening to make this type of transition. Often times you’re very first interaction with a potential employer will be a remote interview via the phone or WebEx. This can be overwhelming! Should you prepare differently than you would for an in-person interview? As someone who has 10 years of experience working and teaching from home, I have had my share of remote interviews and business interactions. Hopefully my tips can help you feel more confident during your first remote interview.

1. Smile!
Even though employers can’t always see your face during a remote interview, I strongly believe they can hear you smile on the other end. If it’s a video interview, make sure you look professional - just like you would for an in-person interview - and treat the camera as your interviewer. And make sure you are in a quiet area.

2. Be clear and concise.
I learned once that just 20 percent of communication comes from the words you say and how you say them. The other 80 percent comes from nonverbal cues. Being clear and concise during your remote interview will ensure your message comes across appropriately.

3. Understand your industry.
Make sure to research what your industry requires for home office needs. If you’re in the healthcare industry like myself, make sure you are aware of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) or other compliance standards that will apply to the location of your future home office (e.g., the ability to secure your computer when you are not using it, screens not facing a first floor window, or needing a cross cut shredder).

4. Know your tech.
If you are going to be working from home, even with IT support from your company, be prepared to describe your technical skills and familiarity with a computer. It is also good to know your internet service provider name and your connection speed.

5. Ask questions.
Find out how the company supports its remote workers. Do they offer remote opportunities for interaction with co-workers? If there are on-site and off-site employees, are activities available companywide? How do they support a connected remote workplace?

Hopefully these remote interview tips will spark some ideas and help you feel more comfortable as you venture into the world of working outside of the office. My final piece of advice is to talk to someone who has already done it and have them walk you through what they did before they started working remotely. I promise if you are the right kind of worker for remote work, it’s not as scary as it may seem.

Here at CHAMPS Oncology, there are opportunities to work off-site to service our clients throughout the country. Our innovative approach to technology, training and employee events allows all to participate whether near or far.

Intrigued by the opportunity to work remotely for CHAMPS? Learn more about our cancer registry careers.

« Previous Blog Post Meet June’s Registry Rock Star: Meagan McKay, CTR
Next Blog Post » Cancer Registry Outsourcing. A Value-Multiplier Not a Substitute
About the Author

Laura Vondenhuevel